This course follows on from Understanding the Development Process, and looks in more detail at how to ensure we get the right quality designs and how the planning system works.
This course is suitable for Development and Regeneration staff who are new to the discipline, and staff from other teams within Registered Providers who are drafted into Development project teams.
Entry or Pre-course Requirements
This course is designed to follow on from Understanding the Development Process. It is preferable, although not essential, that delegates should either have attended that course or have an equivalent level of knowledge.
None, although it is helpful if delegates review their Design Brief, letters of appointment for architects and one or more planning permission Decision Notices recently received.
Funding Affordable Housing;
This course covers the following subject areas which are addressed at an intermediate level:
- Appointing & Managing the Consultant Team ⅓ day
- Working at risk
- Clear appointments
- Keeping control
- Getting good quality designs ⅔ day
- Briefing well
- Design reviews & getting colleagues on board
- Fixing designs & controlling change
- Typical design problem areas
- Developing the technical designs
- Keeping control when on-site under D&B
- The Planning System 1 day
- Planning policies – where they come from
- When do we need planning (incl Permitted Development)?
- Developing the local plan – the process
- Local vs national vs neighbourhood – which counts most?
- Applying the policies – what is “development control”?
- The application process
- Outline vs Detailed (Full)
- Conditions, Obligations, Agreements & CIL
- Affordable Housing polices & how they (are supposed to) work.
Intensive interactive classroom-based learning with exercises
Duration & Times
Day 1: 10.00am – 5.00pm
Day 2: 9.30am – 4.00pm
The content of this course is being independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On completion of this course you will be provided with an HATC certificate.