Date: 21/06/2022 - 22/06/2022
Time: All Day
Location: NCVO Offices
Course costs: £745 +VAT
This course follows on from Understanding the Development Process, and looks in more detail at how to appoint & manage the design team and the design process, identifying typical design issues and the importance of effective design review. The course then moves on to the planning system, forward planning and development control, planning polices, the process, conditions and obligations.
This course is suitable for Development and Regeneration staff who are new to the discipline, and staff from other teams within Registered Providers who are drafted into Development project teams.
Entry or Pre-course Requirements
This course is designed to follow on from Understanding the Development Process. It is preferable, although not essential, that delegates should either have attended that course or have an equivalent level of knowledge.
Recommended Pre-course Reading
Before coming on the course please review the following documents from one of your schemes currently under development (or very recently completed), and bring a copy with you to the course:
- A recent letter of appointment to an architect
- Your organisation’s Design Brief (i.e. the document that sets out your design requirements up to and including getting a detailed planning permission)
- Your organisation’s Employer’s Requirements (i.e. the document that sets out your design requirements post-planning, including any areas where you specify materials, systems, components etc)
- A Decision Notice granting planning permission on a scheme, that you have received in the last few months
You will find it helpful to look over the relevant Topics in Developing Affordable Housing, published by the National Housing Federation. It is available here.
This course covers the following subject areas which are addressed at an intermediate level:
- Appointing & Managing the Consultant Team
- Working at risk
- Clear appointments
- Keeping control
- Getting good quality designs
- Briefing well
- Design reviews & getting colleagues on board
- Fixing designs & controlling change
- Typical design problem areas
- Developing the technical designs
- Keeping control when on-site under D&B
- The Planning System
- Planning policies – where they come from
- When do we need planning (incl Permitted Development)?
- Developing the local plan – the process
- Local vs national vs neighbourhood – which counts most?
- Applying the policies – what is “development control”?
- The application process
- Outline vs Detailed (Full)
- Conditions, Obligations, Agreements & CIL
- Affordable Housing polices & how they (are supposed to) work.
Intensive interactive learning with exercises
Duration & Times
Day 1: 10.00am – 5.00pm
Day 2: 9.00am – 4.00pm
On completion of this course you will be provided with an HATC certificate.
To book places on this training course please complete the form below.
If you need us to quote your Purchase order number, please provide it. If you don't use PO numbers, just insert "none".
After receiving your request for a booking we will invoice you, at which point your request for a place is approved.
Fields marked with * are required.
Please read our Terms & Conditions before proceeding.
Please note that prices shown below include VAT!